I don’t know about you, but around here meals that can be ready in less than 30 minutes are lifesavers. Life is busy and spending hours cooking a delicious and healthy meal just isn’t something I have the time or desire to do every night. With simple ingredients and a little bit of time this simple and tasty pasta dish is ready to enjoy.
This pasta dish has three main ingredients; pasta, broccoli and Italian sausage. It’s then covered in Parmesan and olive oil for a light sauce. You know when you make a recipe again after a long time and it isn’t as good as you remember? That didn’t happen with this one. It was every bit as delicious as I remembered and the hubby agreed.
What’s your go-to dinner?
Simple Chicken Sausage and Broccoli Pasta
Since you mix everything up in the same pot you boil the pasta in, you need a big pot, mine is 8 quarts. I’ve only made this recipe with chicken sausage, but pork sausage would be delicious, just not as healthy.
1 pound Italian sausage
12 ounces uncooked small shell pasta
3-4 cups broccoli florets
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Shredded cheese for serving
- Heat a large pot of water. While the water is heating, cook the sausage over medium-high, heat for 5 to 7 minutes, breaking it up as you go. Remove from heat.
- Once the water reaches a boil, add the pasta and bring it back to a boil. Once the water and pasta is boiling, add the broccoli and cook according to pasta instructions for al dente. When pasta is done cooking, reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and broccoli.
- Return the pot to the stove and set heat to high. Add olive oil and saute the garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and add pasta, broccoli and sausage to the pot and mix well.
- Add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water and mix well, adding more if needed.
- Serve with additional cheese on the side.
Adapted from this recipe.